49 results found

  • Home | hrfoundation

    The Sir Henry Royce Foundation The evolving role of Henry Royce engineering

  • Car Collection | hrfoundation

    Car Collection - Details Below - - Entrusted to the Foundation is a 1967 Rolls-Royce Phantom V, chassis number , a former Australian Government car which has transported visiting royalty and Governors-General. It was donated in 2002 by Dr John Matheson through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program. And now a second ex vice-regal Phantom V used in Australia, chassis number . John Matheson and Jeanne Eve successfully completed the 1997 ‘Peking to Paris Motor Challenge’ in this car. Their ‘adventure’ has been chronicled in the book by Jeanne Eve, described as a ‘personal account’ and titled ‘Rallying in a Royal Rolls-Royce: Preparation, Pitfalls and Passion on the 1997 Peking to Paris Motor Challenge’. for an extended brief history of chassis number 5VF159. Phantom V - 5VF159 Phantom V - 5VF155 Click Here Silver Shadow - LRH24643 Click Here 5VF159 5VF155 Click here Both and regularly tour State based Clubs of the RROCA throughout Australia. The Sir Henry Royce Foundation has undertaken to conserve these magnificent examples of a Rolls-Royce Phantom V which has been entrusted to the able custodianship of the RROCA NSW and RROCA QLD on behalf of the Foundation. Consequently, it is often seen in and around cities and States where they reside. : Rolls-Royce Phantom V : 1967 : ZSF 571 : 5VF159 : 6.2 Litre Compression: 8:1 for slow procession work 5VF159 5VF155 The Car Year Registration Chassis No Engine : 3 tonne : Mulliner Park Ward : Australian Commonwealth Ex Vice Regal car Weight Coach Work Lineage : blue police light, three flag poles, cocktail cabinet, silk blinds, intercom system, glass interior partition This car completed the 1997 . 45 days. 16,000 kilometres across snow capped Himalayas at 5,000 metres and three deserts under scorching sun. Owner/Drivers on the rally: John Matheson & Jeanne Eve. For further detailed specifications . Special Features Of special note: Peking to Paris Motor Challenge click here ​ ** Click on the photos below to view the full gallery of photos. Acknowledgement to Brian Carson for allowing the Foundation to use his photography. ** Below that is a wonderful video of one of our SHRF Trustees talking about the Phantom V. ** Click for a fabulous film on the Vice Regal Rolls-Royce. HERE Sincere thanks to the National Film & Sound Archives of Australia for permitting the link. QLD Branch Phantom V Trustee RROCA-QLD R-R Phantom V Chassis: 5VF155 Rego: ZSF-570 NSW Branch Phantom V Trustee RROCA-NSW R-R Phantom V Chassis: 5VF159 Rego: ZSF-571 QLD Branch Phantom V Trustee RROCA-QLD R-R Phantom V Chassis: 5VF155 Rego: ZSF-570 1/18

  • Silver Ghost Body | hrfoundation

    Silver Ghost Body ' THE DREAMER' Australian Designed and Built Coachwork for 1911 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost, chassis no. 1524. This superb coachwork was built by the late Charles Wright of Adelaide (1912-2003). It demonstrates Charles Wright’s philosophy that owners of Rolls-Royce vehicles have a duty “to rescue, restore and maintain them in as nearly as possible their original condition for their like will not be seen again”. Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost chassis number 1524 went on test on 1 February 1911. The chassis was dispatched to Messrs. Hooper & Co Limited (Coachbuilders) to be fitted with limousine coachwork described as “Like His Majesty the King’s.” On 9 May 1912, 1524 was sold “as is, second-hand ex Royalty, with Hooper Limousine like the Kings [sic]” to Charles Angas Esq of Collingrove, Angaston, South Australia. Before taking delivery Mr Angas had constructed on the chassis a new and beautiful Brougham body by the bodybuilder Grosvenor. On shipment to Australia in 1913, 1524 was used by the Angas family for many years. The Grosvenor body was later removed and the vehicle was used as a farm utility until 1963 when purchased by Charles Wright who, over the next 22 years, painstakingly overhauled the chassis and built this replica brougham coachwork. Because Mrs Angas, a back seat passenger, would be lulled to sleep when travelling in 1524, Mr Angas named the car "The Dreamer". This body was removed by a later owner and donated to the Foundation. Australian Designed and Built Coachwork for 1911 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost, chassis no. 1524. Australian Designed and Built Coachwork for 1911 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost, chassis no. 1524. Australian Designed and Built Coachwork for 1911 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost, chassis no. 1524. 1/5

  • Model Cars | hrfoundation

    Model Cars Visitors to the SHRF’s home, Bill Allsep House, will admire the unique models of a and a car on display amongst the Foundation‘s collection. These two 2-metre-long models are the work of one man – the late Claude Mason. Large Model Cars in the Collection (photos below) Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost 20hp An outstanding feature of the Ninth Federal Rally at Mildura in June 1967 was the unveiling of a 2m-long driveable model of a 1922 Rolls-Royce 20hp which had been built by Claude Mason over a period of a couple of years. Apart from the 198cc horizontally-opposed, water-cooled engine, Claude manufactured most of the other components including the chassis, wheels, axles, differential, steering and the body work. Even the tool kit is made to scale. The attention to detail must be seen to be believed. In retirement Claude continued working on another model: a 1907 Silver Ghost which was the centre of attention when unveiled at the Formal Dinner at the 1971 Federal Rally at Shepparton. The Silver Ghost model, which has a Master Pup single-cylinder two-stroke engine No P746, is heavier and more complex than the 20hp. To enable these model cars to be driven by adults, Claude hinged the front seats in such a manner that they fold back to allow enough leg room to operate the control pedals. The steering is said to be light and direct. Whilst each car has a gear lever it appears that the levers are more for show than functionality. Both models are outstanding examples of a skilled artisan’s craftsmanship. Claude was a capable pattern maker, and his skill as a toolmaker, moulder, machinist, metal worker, electrician, carpenter, upholsterer and painter are self-evident. He executed most of the work in his own well-equipped workshop at Coburg. When finished he proudly displayed the fruits of his extraordinary talents in the lounge room of his home in Bell Street, Coburg. After his death Claude’s family kindly offered the two cars to the Sir Henry Royce Foundation on permanent loan for display at the Fox Museum and subsequently at Bill Allsep House. ​ Small Model Cars in the Collection (photos below) The SHRF has been fortunate over the years to accept donations from Members, or their estates, which add to the story of Sir Henry Royce and Rolls-Royce and Bentley motor cars. Several of these donations have included model cars, of varying scales, which the benefactors have collected over the years. Below are examples of three of these collections which are now on display at Bill Allsep House in Melbourne. ​ ​ ** Click on the photos below to view the full gallery of photos. Miscellaneous Models 1922 Rolls-Royce 20hp Built by Claude Mason Model 10HP car, 1905. Franklin Mint 1/24 SHRF - Claude Mason model (as told by John Reis) Play Video Claude Mason Scale Model Watch Now Share Whole Channel This Video Facebook Twitter Pinterest Tumblr Copy Link Link Copied Share Channel Info Close

  • Printed Materials Collection | hrfoundation

    Printed Materials Collection A wonderful and searchable (yes really) collection of the RROCA Praeclarum magazine from 1960 to 2010 is also available. We hope to be able to add from 2010 to current in the not too distant future. Click on this link to access: The Foundation boasts a huge archive of printed materials. From GA Drawings, books, magazines, books, service records and much, much more. http://praeclarum.rroc.org.au/ ​ Below is a collection of photos from the Printed Materials archives. Below the gallery of photos are a few short videos for your viewing. Service records from York Motors, Sydney. 1914 Silver Ghost catalogue limousine - early model. GA (general assembly) detail for hanger of exhaust of 20/25HP. 1/22 SHRF - Catalogues (G Ralph) Play Video SHRF - Ian Irwin (Research and books) Play Video SHRF - The Dunlop Book (as told by Gilbert Ralph) Play Video SHRF - Books - RR Aircraft Engines (as told by J Reis) Play Video SHRF - Principal Publications (as told by Gilbert Ralph) Play Video SHRF - Books General (as told by John Reis) Play Video SHRF - Magazines (as told by Bryan Harper) Play Video Printed Materials Watch Now SHRF - Ian Irwin (Research and books) Play Video Share Whole Channel This Video Facebook Twitter Pinterest Tumblr Copy Link Link Copied Share Channel Info Close

  • Car Collection Specifications | hrfoundation

    Car Collection - Detailed Specifications 1967 Rolls-Royce Phantom V Chassis number 5VF159 Ordered by Australian Federal Governmen Ceremonial transport for Governor-General, Royalty, Heads of State, and visiting dignitaries V8 engine, 6.2 litre Lower than normal compression ratio of 8:1 instead of 9:1 Weight: unladen 2710 kgs or 5962 lbs 'colonial model' = extra 13 litres of fuel or 2 UK gallons of fuel for longer distances = 'oil-bath' filters instead of paper filters for the air filters due to Australian dust Drum brakes Lap sash seat belts only in front seats Queen sits behind driver so her seat is adjustable height and forwards length for max viewing. Blue light car, 3 flag poles, crest holder Rear seats have bone coloured Connolly leather. Not so in front. Detective sat in passenger front seat. Driver's seat is for chauffeur- non adjustable as glass partition immediately behind. Pink silk blinds on rear windows for privacy when required. Intercom system for rear passenger and driver. Fittings for heraldic shield on roof Mulliner Park Ward body 2 dickey seats in rear Cocktail cabinet with crystal cut sherry glasses and silver capped decanters. Not armour plated as Queen expressly requested not to be. Small velcro tape on dashboard--thought to be when Royal family visited, they could attach their St Christopher medal-patron saint of safe travel---true or false ?? 1983 - Federal Government sold off this car at a Sydney auction because it was not bullet-proof and was only doing low mileage. Replaced by Australian built Holdens and Fords. Prime Minister Keating was in power. - Purchased by John Matheson & Jeanne Eve in Sydney for private use. 1995 - Driven across the Nullabor to WA for a Rolls-Royce Owners’ Club annual rally. 1997 - Participated and completed the Peking to Paris Motor Challenge with John Matheson & Jeanne Eve. Afterwards was repainted with some panel beating to its original glory. 1997 - Donated to the Sir Henry Royce Foundation, Australia. 2000

  • More About 2 | hrfoundation

    Establishment of the Foundation (cont....) The Sir Henry Royce Foundation Australia was initiated when David Ekberg, a Member of the Victoria Branch of the Rolls-Royce Owners’ Club of Australia (RROCA), having been impressed with what the Sir Henry Royce Memorial Foundation had achieved in the UK, conceived the idea of forming a similar organisation in Australia. David promoted the idea of an Australian foundation to the RROCA Federal Council, where David Vann was the then Federal President. David Vann and Ian Dunn (Federal Secretary) tirelessly pursued David Ekberg’s idea and approached Malcolm Johns, an Honorary Life Member of the RROCA to advise on how such a foundation could be formed. At the Federal Rally of the RROCA in Wollongong on the 28th April 1996 it was agreed that “an irrevocable Trust for charitable purposes be established” and that it be called “The Sir Henry Royce Foundation Australia”. The founding trustees were David C Jones AM OBE (Chairman), James C Kelso and David G Vann OAM. The inaugural Trustees then invited Malcolm N Johns to be the fourth Trustee. Over time, there have been changes in the people serving as a Trustee. David Jones retired and David Vann became Chairman. David Neely and David Davis were appointed as Trustees. Russell Rolls was appointed as a Trustee. David Davis, Malcolm Johns and David Neely retired. David Vann retired as Chairman but remained a Trustee with Russell Rolls taking over as Chairman. Frank Carroll, Brian Crump and Eric Henderson were appointed as Trustees. David Vann retired as a Trustee. Jeanne Eve was appointed a Trustee. The current Trustees are; Russell Rolls (Chairman), Frank Carroll, Brian Crump, Jeanne Eve, Eric Henderson and Wallace Morehouse. The Trust Deed states: “The charitable objects of The Foundation are the advancement of the science and technology of mechanical engineering for public benefit and the advancement of education.” It went on to state that “The collection policy is to collect, document and exhibit any objects whatsoever illustrating or connected with the science of mechanical engineering and especially related to the work of Sir Henry Royce.” “The Collection is to include such items as: The published and unpublished records of experiments, research and work of the late Sir Henry Royce, Any objects whatsoever illustrating or connected with the science of mechanical engineering as it relates to Sir Henry Royce, Those items that illustrate the activities associated with motor car manufacture, sale and distribution.” The Foundation was officially launched on the 1st October 1999 at a meeting of interested supporters at the Fox Classic Car Museum in Melbourne at which there was a gallery displaying cars, engines, motors, models, photographs, memorabilia and related items by then collected and assembled by the Trustees. Until The Foundation was able to establish its own premises, many years later, much of the collection was on public display at the Fox Museum. There was a steady growth in donated funds, artifacts and memorabilia that forms the basis of the present collection. The Foundation found support from established organisations such as the Museums Victoria and the Australian War Memorial who loaned historic Rolls-Royce aero engines for display. As an indication of the confidence placed in The Foundation for the preservation of the Australian heritage of Rolls-Royce, the two ex-Australian Government “royal” Phantom V limousines have been donated to The Foundation by separate donors. In 2010, following a very generous donation from Jean Allsep, The Foundation was able to purchase a substantial building at Rowville (an outer suburb of Melbourne) in which The Foundation’s collection is now housed. These premises, Bill Allsep House (BAH), are named after Jean’s late husband, Bill, a long-time, enthusiastic Member of the Victoria Branch of the RROCA. Under the terms of a legal agreement between The Foundation and the Victoria Branch of the RROCA, the Branch has the use of Bill Allsep House as their club rooms with the day-to-day costs of occupancy being met by the Branch. In 2014, following a very generous donation from Lionel Gell (a long-standing Member of the Victoria Branch of the RROCA), a second property was acquired nearby in Rowville. These premises, the Lionel Gell School of Instruction for Rolls-Royce and Bentley (LGSI), have been set up with car hoists, benches and workshop facilities specifically to accord with the educational objectives of The Foundation – to promulgate the engineering ethos of Sir Henry Royce and his successors to a wider community. LGSI is used, in part, by the Technical Section of the RROCA Victoria Branch for regular seminars. The Foundation’s archival records collection is housed in Bill Allsep House and is maintained by Gilbert Ralph, The Foundation’s Honorary Archivist and a group of dedicated volunteers. This archival collection ranges from books, magazines, brochures, RROCA and Branch historical documentation to service records from Australian Rolls-Royce and Bentley dealers. Further, The Foundation has a collection of over 20,000 photographic images documenting the history of the Club, the cars and the Company in Australia. This is a valuable resource for Club Members and for wider historical research. The Foundation also houses the archival collection from the Australian Chapter of the 20 Ghost Club. Australia is a vast country with population centres thousands of kilometres apart in different States. As the main Archives of the Sir Henry Royce Foundation are housed in Melbourne Victoria, it was decided that two Sub-Archives be established in Queensland; one a museum and the other a showroom. In Brisbane, items with special Queensland provenance are housed along with any copies of archival material from Melbourne and is the Geebung Museum. In Coolum, the large new premises is the showroom for the larger aero and ‘C‘ series Diesel engines as well as the second ex vice - regal Phantom V. Details of all Queensland catalogued items are forwarded to the Archivist for the central database of the SHRF. All items are subject to the same archival and cataloguing policies and procedures as the main SHRF Archive. The SHRF has legal ownership of all the material under the care of the curator of the Geebung and Coolum premises, but all these materials will remain in Queensland for display as the core Sub-Archives, Queensland. ​ The Geebung Museum was opened on 2 June 2018 with Frank Carroll, Russell Rolls and Curator, Barry Sparks, giving the opening address. The doors were officially opened by Queensland MP Bart Mellish. It has five rooms of books and technical displays, various engines displayed in the front showroom, the Royce room, the Bentley room, tools and equipment and a TV room plus several bookshelves and cabinets of memorabilia. Car clubs and other interest groups regularly visit. ​ The Coolum Showroom of the Foundation was officially opened on 17 November 2018 by Federal MP Ted O’Brien. It contains 620 square metres of air-conditioned displays including 5 notable Rolls-Royce engines (including a 1945 Merlin aero engine), 340 model cars, archives, books and 7 very special Rolls-Royce and Bentley motor cars. It is open to the public (in normal times, without pandemic) on the first Saturday of each month, 7am to 10am, in conjunction with “Sunshine Coast Cars n Coffee” plus other times, by appointment, for car clubs and other special interest groups. The Sir Henry Royce Foundation Australia is now an important element of the worldwide movement to preserve the historical artifacts and documentation relating to the engineering ethos of Sir Henry Royce and to the Rolls-Royce and Bentley marques. The Foundation’s collection includes historically important aircraft engines, ex Australia Government “royal” Phantom Vs and an extensive archive of printed material and photographs, primarily related to Australian topics. The educational objective of The Foundation is served by the collection being open to all.

  • York Motors Registration | hrfoundation

    York Motors Service Histories The Foundation holds approximately 279 file folders of various types from the former York Motors Rolls-Royce division in Australia. These detail the service histories of a similar number of Australian-delivered or -maintained cars spanning an approximate period from 1967 to 1992. The cars include Corniche, Silver Shadow, Silver Spirit, Silver Spur, Camargue and others of the period. To enquire about a specific vehicle record, email: enquiries@roycefoundation.com.au

  • Winners - Art | hrfoundation

    Winners - Art Prize Saturday, March 24, 2012, saw the official opening by NSW Branch Member David Berthon of The Foundation’s Art Award, held under the auspices of the Sherbrook Art Society, Sherbrook, Melbourne. There were some 60 paintings entered into the competition.The standard of these paintings was excellent. The judge, Ern Trembath commented that he had found it difficult to pick the winning entries. Foundation Trustees were on hand to congratulate the winner of the Award, Maxwell Wilks for his painting “1910 Silver Ghost”. The three prize-winning paintings were acquired by The Foundation under the terms of the competition and are presently hung in Bill Allsep House. ©All rights reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced or transmitted in any form, by any means electronic or mechanical, including photocopying and recording without express written consent from the copyright owner. Individual works of art are copyright of respective copyright owner. SHRF - Art Prize (as told by Russell Rolls) Play Video Foundation Art Prize Watch Now Share Whole Channel This Video Facebook Twitter Pinterest Tumblr Copy Link Link Copied Share Channel Info Close

  • Lionell Gell School of Instruction | hrfoundation

    Lionel Gell School of Instruction Below are a collection of photos - and below that is a wonderful video on the school. Click here for Press Release for the opening of the Lionel Gell School of Instruction for Rolls-Royce and Bentley Owners Lionel Gell School RROCA Members can take full advantage of this equipped facility. Lionel Gel School of Instruction Lionel Gell School RROCA Members can take full advantage of this equipped facility. 1/9

© 2021 by The Sir Henry Royce Foundation. 

Fostering the engineering excellence of Sir Henry Royce into the 21st century